The union of daily life & meditative practice
Modern Buddhism is a special presentation of Buddha’s teachings designed especially for the people of the modern world. It is a practical way of life based on wisdom and compassion that is open to everyone regardless of age, race, gender, sexual orientation or faith.
The benefits of modern buddhism
Everyone is welcome to attend classes and benefit from the practices that are taught
● Practical solutions to everyday problems such as anger, uncontrolled desire, jealousy, and self-grasping ignorance
● Simple methods to find lasting happiness through developing inner peace, improve our relationships and be of genuine help to others
● Year-round program of classes and courses in 1200 centers & branches worldwide, including many city centres
● Friendly, relaxed environment where you can meet and discuss with like-minded people
● Advanced study and meditation courses for those seeking deeper understanding and experience
Handed down in an unbroken lineage, Buddha’s practical methods for solving
real-world problems are accessible
The methods revealed within Buddhism have stood the test of time and are as relevant today as they were 2500 years ago.
Buddha’s teachings are scientific methods for improving our human nature and qualities through developing the capacity of our mind.
We all wish to make a difference in our world. Find out how your activities can contribute to world peace.
Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, founder of the New Kadampa Tradition (NKT-IKBU) and Modern Buddhism, has spent his entire life benefiting others through helping people find true inner peace. Born in Tibet, he ordained as a Buddhist monk at the age of eight and spent the next twenty years studying the teachings of Buddha in the great Tibetan monasteries.
After concluding his studies and being awarded the title ‘Geshe’, which means ‘virtuous spiritual friend’, he entered a life of meditation, engaging in deep retreat in Tibet and India where he soon developed a reputation as a meditation master.
After almost twenty years in retreat, in 1977 he was requested to teach at Manjushri Centre in England and graciously agreed with the encouragement of his own Spiritual Guide, Kyabje Trijang Dorjechang. Since moving to the West, Venerable Geshe Kelsang has given thousands of teachings, helped establish the International Kadampa Buddhist Union, trained hundreds of Buddhist teachers, and written 23 highly acclaimed books on Buddhism and meditation, including free ebooks such as his most prolific titles, Modern Buddhism and How to transform Your Life.
Gen-la Kelsang Dekyong, the General Spiritual Director of IKBU and Principal Resident Teacher at Manjushri KMC, is a modern Buddhist nun dedicated to helping people from all walks of life attain lasting happiness through developing inner peace.
As one of Venerable Geshe Kelsang’s close disciples, Gen-la Dekyong’s teachings, humour and kindness exemplify the essence of the Buddhist way of life. She is a perfect example of a Kadampa Teacher.
While teaching internationally, she has inspired many thousands of people through her sincere reliance on her Spiritual Guide, her tireless dedication, and her clear and accessible teachings.
In all her varied activities as General Spiritual Director, Gen-la Dekyong is dedicating her life to helping Kadam Dharma flourish throughout the world.
Gen-la Kelsang Jampa is the Deputy Spiritual Director of NKT-IKBU and the Resident Teacher at KMC Texas. He has studied under Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche and taught internationally for many years and is greatly admired for his warm personality and clear, inspiring teachings.
Gen Kelsang Tubchen is the National Spiritual Director of the New Kadampa tradition in the Nordic region. She was ordained as a Buddhist nun in 2003 and has many years of experience, including long periods of retreat. She is a gifted and inspiring teacher who has a strong wish to share the benefits of meditation with others.
- NKT-IKBU is an entirely independent Buddhist tradition with no political affiliations and follows a pure tradition of Mahayana Buddhism handed down in an unbroken lineage from Buddha Shakyamunithrough the ancient Kadampa teachers Atisha and Je Tsongkhapa and introduced into the West by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso.
- With over 1,200 centers and branches worldwide in 40 countries, our rapidly growing tradition is an international spiritual community, offering support, inspiration and encouragement for this joyful and profound spiritual path.
- Regional, national, and international gatherings, called Dharma Celebrations and Festivals, happen throughout the year. They are inspiring events where you meet with like minded people and get immersed in the experience of spiritual teachings and meditation in a group of hundreds or thousands of people. They are truly unique and powerful. You can learn more here.
International Festivals & Celebrations of Modern Buddhism
Every year NKT-IKBU organizes world wide Kadampa festivals on Buddhism and meditation that explain how to apply Buddha’s teachings (Dharma) to modern living. These include International Festivals, and National Festivals. You can also click here for a detailed calendar.
These Buddhist Festivals and Dharma Celebrations provide a precious opportunity to study and practise the special presentation of modern Buddhism taught by Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, the Founder of NKT.
The events vary in length from two days to two weeks, but whatever their duration they all offer a vacation with a difference – a chance to break free from the hectic routines of daily life and focus on the things that really matter. You will come away not only refreshed and relaxed but also spiritually re-energised.
Fall Festival, Berlin
6 - 12 Oct, 2017
With blessing empowerment of Buddha Avalokiteshvara and teachings on Universal Compassion
with General Spiritual Director Gen-la Kelsang Dekyong
Spring Festival, UK
25 - 30 may, 2018
Blessing empowerment of Buddha Prajnaparamita and commentary with Gen-la Kelsang Thubten
Summer Festival, UK
July 27 to August 11, 2018
Week 1 – Kadam Lamrim teachings with Gen-la Kelsang Jampa
Week 2 – Highest Yoga Tantra Empowerments and commentary with Gen-la Kelsang Dekyong